Sunday, August 10, 2008

Priceless (by Ben Chase)

Emails: 994
Voicemails: 190
“Emergencies” (AKA: Rich people problems): 6
Wedding Planning: a bit.
Time spent re-telling stories of the trip to people in the office: 4 hours and counting.

I’ve got some on my plate that will keep me from communicating as much as I’d like during the next few days. Please understand my silence doesn’t mean I’m not thinking of you. Miss you all greatly. Raquel, I totally understand the breakdown. Yesterday morning I hit my local Starbucks and was unexpectedly on the verge of tears. And not the simple single dropping man tears that are ushered quietly from the corner of one eye, but the weeping tormented “what’s wrong with you?” tears. The trip solidifies that my heart is in foreign missions. Ideally, Angela and I can afford to make long-term commitments in the future. Right now we can’t. we’ll see. Post trip blogging sounds like a great idea and I started writing something yesterday morning, but I don’t understand all the emotions well enough yet to explain them to other people.

I had a nightmare yesterday, too. Short nap around 2pm after I’d taken my mother to lunch and shown her a couple photos of the trip. There were some tame images of S.21 in there—nothing dramatic. But the dream was powerful. I won’t describe the graphic violence I witnessed, but the strange bit was that the Cambodian dark skin and Khmer language had been replaced by Western actors and English words. It was definitely S.21, and it was definitely Caucasians. The dream sequence made the whole experience at S.21 more real to me. It was terrifying.

John & Julie, I’m sharing the same sentiments about happiness having met such a great team. Thanks again for your good leadership, and I look forward to doing more with everyone in the (near) future.

Love, BC

No comments: