Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday

I wrote this earlier today right after we left the orphanage and I wanted to share with you all....

It's Friday morning and we are on the bus on the way to Siem Reap. We had a very emotional morning. Picture this: we arrive at the orphanage this morning and the kids have made two lines of kids and there are heart shaped notes and gifts hanging from the trees. As we walked through they are bowing to us saying thank you and we love you in Khmer/English. We are then lead to a covered area where we have seats in the front and all the kids are seated in front of us. One by one the stand up and speak to us in Khmer while the Pastor translates. They told us things like they are thankful they got to fellowship with us, they are glad they went to the beach, and they love us and will miss us very much. Several of the kids were crying as they were speaking to us. This one little girl stands up and tells us that she loves her mama and papa very much (isnt that sweet) then she says you all are my mama and papa. I mean talk about heart wrenching. And that was the point I started weeping and still haven't stopped. I'm even tearing as I type this. But I just wanted it to be detailed in my mind. I know I will never forget this experience.Those children are the future of Cambodia. They are precious in my eyes and in the eyes of Jesus and I know this morning made God smile. They all had made us hand written letters and gifts. I got baby pictures of them, hand made bracelets, and even a Khmer Bible. They gave us there prized possessions. And if you saw there rooms you would know that is giving us alot. Each of them live on a small cot with a box of all their belongings. So for them to give us pieces f things they own is just amazing. I had a sweet little boy that stayed next to me form the moment we got there. He was crying today when I was leaving and wouldn't let go of my hand. I knwo that image of him is always a precious memory I will have. I came here not knowing much about Cambodia and I am leaving with a lasting impressions on my heart from these kids and Cambodia will always hold a special place in my heart. I praise the Lord for putting me here and letting me experience all this. Please take a moment and pray for the children of New Life orphanage. The Pastor told me that they cry for days after we leave. So I pray that they will be comforted by the holy spirit and that they can laugh about all the good times we had instead of being sad that we are gone. As always-thanks for your prayers and for reading!

With a heavy heart-
Rachael

****
We are now in Siem Reap. We went shopping at the market, had an hour full body massage, and are eating dinner at a cool restaurant. Tomorrow we are getting up at 4:00am to watch the sunset at Anchor Wat. And after that we start the long traveling home. Please pray for safe travels...we can't wait to see each and everyone of you!!! We have missed you very much. Thanks for all the comments, prayers, and thoughts yesterday. We definately needed them :)


Much love to you all!!!!

2 comments:

ann said...

Dear Rachel and Team....

I am crying as a write this.... Rachel, your stories come to life as I read them and I can't imagine what it would be like to actually BE there and be experiencing your goodbye to the children....

A prayer...

"Thank you God for letting this wonderful group of people visit to share their love and faith with these children. Please protect the hearts of these children. Thank you for their permanent caretakers. Thank you for wrapping your arms around the Team and helping through this entire trip."

My husband and I are so grateful that we were able to share this trip through your words and pictures. We would love to meet you all when you get back.

God will surely comfort you as you are trying to balance all that you have experienced, the memories of the children and now trying to relax and enjoy the rest of your journey.

We're sending hugs to each and every one of you.
And if you would hug Michael for us...

Love,

Michael's mom and dad
Ann & Mike

Anonymous said...

Sweet Rachael..What an emotional day you all have had! It is never easy to say good-bye. As you travel home, reflect on what good work for the Lord you all accomplished. They all got a glimpse of our precious Jesus through you. You obeyed the call to go and you let your light shine..that light being Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. He is so pleased with you. To Him be the glory! It is now time to come home..we miss you and love you very much..