Friday, July 25, 2008

A few posts from today...

Thursday 7/24 1:45 pm(date and time at home)
Friday 7/25 1:45 am (date and time in Cambodia)

I'm on the plane and just finished watching a movie. It's crazy because it's completely dark in the airplane. We've had dinner and supposed to be asleep now. But you know me, I can't sleep. I'm too excited to get to where we are going. We've already met some really cool people. When we were at the Atlanta airport , we (by we, I mean Mike) met one of the people responsible for starting a NP strategic partner in Jacksonville. It was totally random because the guy was just ahead of us at McDonalds. And yes we had McDonald's for breakfast before we got on the plane :) After we boarded the plane, we met this amazing grandmother (she's sitting in front of us). She has custody of her grandchild because her son is just to young to take care of this adorable little boy. She is on her way to China to take him to have surgery. He is two years old and is completely blind. He will be having a special treatment in China. It takes 5 times but apparently afterwards he will be able to see. Isn't that amazing!!?? After she was done telling the story I thought to myself. We take so much for granted. Just the fact that we can see is incredible. We are so blessed to be born in America. My heart feels totally full of love, joy, and peace. I was so nervous to get going but here I am on a plane on my way to the other side of the world. It's amazing that I am here making this big step. I'm so thankful for my supporters. I have an amazing group of financial and prayer warriors for this trip and I couldn't be more thankful. My husband is such an amazing man, i'm thankful to him for making confident to do this with just me and God! Also, I just want you all to know we are a group of random people that God put together. It's crazy how much we have in common with each other. God is so BIG and sometimes it's so easy to forget that, but DON'T forget...i'm telling you God is so big. I am reminded of some scripture that I read earlier. I had several cards to read once I got on the plane. My dad in law and sis gave me a sweet card that was very encouraging and even made me tear a little. Mami, I'm saving yours for later-but wearing my necklace and love it! :) But my mom had given me a envelope for everyday. I waited to open her envelope til I got on the plane and it was a piece of paper with some scripture on it. I have to tell you that it totally touched my heart because it was exactly what I needed to hear. That's why I say God is so big, because He knew I needed to hear that before I knew and he used my mom to get it to me. I will leave you with the scripture for now and i'm sure I will write more later. We all miss you and love you very much. Thanks for reading and being involved in this trip!

"O Lord you have searched me and you knew me. You know when I sit and when I rise, you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my laying down, you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in-behind and before, you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; If I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me. , your right hand will hold me fast, If I say "surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me, " even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
Psalms 139

PRAISE GOD! AMEN!

--Rachael-

7/24 Thursday 9:26 pm (at home)
7/25 Friday 9:26 am (in Cambodia)

We are still flying in the plane. And I have been tossing and turning for the last few hours. I'm really tired, but I can't sleep :( And unfortunately I have missed the window that I could have Ambien because we have 4 1/2 hours left on the flight and if I took the pill now then I wouldn't wake up when we land in Shanghai. So I'm a little uncomfortable right now, but i'm fine with that seeing that being uncomfortable is why I wanted to go on this mission trip. I know will show me the most outside of my comfort zone. So here am I Lord, here am-teach me and mold me! Well, i'm not sure why I wanted to write, I just can't sleep and I have already watched 4 movies and a few tv shows so writing just seems to be the next on the list. The service on the plane is great. They keep bringing around water to make sure we are hydrated which is great. You know what I just thought of? We have been on this plane for almost 12 hours now. I cannot believe that! I have to admit I'm so proud of myself. I'm surprised I haven't gone stir crazy. Well, that is i haven't gone completely stir crazy, only a little bit :) A little while ago we played InFlight Trivia and I realized how much I don't know, haha! However, Jules won! She's pretty smart! Ok, i'm rambling now and I'm sure all you readers have tuned out. So, goodbye for now-I will write some more once we are in the Shanghai airport-Thanks for reading!
-RW

Friday 7/25 4:45 am (at home)
Friday 7/25 5:45 pm (in China)

*****UPDATE******
We have landed safely at the Shanghai airport. Just waiting on the next plane to take us to Phnom Penh. We are all a bit delirious so please pray for us to get some good sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow feeling rested. Also, I had some stomach issues on the plane, so please pray that God will heal me. Because for now, I defintely dont want any noodle soup and thats a bad thing since i'm about to have all kinds of that type of food. We miss you all very much and love you. Thank you for all the prayers-below are a few more requests....

-Pray for the kids at the New Life orphanage, pray that their hearts will be open to what love we are bringing
-Pray for our team to unite and work together as a well oiled machine (we already do, but it's still good to pray)
-Pray for the John and Julie as they lead this team
-Pray for all of us as we battle the jet lag and time difference

Love- RW
(Gregory, I miss you more than you can imagine and I can't wait til the day we can do missions together. Love you!)

5 comments:

ann said...

Rachel,
Psalm 139 has touched me in an incredible way as I read it over and over this morning. I am up early, hoping that someone would be updating us! Thank you so much! My love and prayers are with you all.
Please give Michael a big hug from me and his Dad.
We are amazed by his faith, and how the Holy Spirit works in him constantly! We love you all and pray that your love and love of God will touch all of the children that you meet.
Love and prayers....Michael's mom....Ann

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe,
sounds like a cool adventure! I'm guessing you want your body pillow right about now :) I'm praying for you and your team. Be sure to eat something for your stomach, whether its something little. I love you very much!

-Gregory

P.S. I started setting up my classroom yesterday and I'm going to have dinner today w/ momma and pappa.

MD said...

I try to read to my daughter (Mike's niece), Layne, everyday...So, for the next week, we are keeping up with the team's blog. We are praying for you all and can't wait for the next post. Hope there will be pictures too :)

Love you Uncle Mike!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachael, I am so proud of you. I know that the Lord is going to do great things through you. I miss and love you very much.

Love always,
Mami

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the updates already! I will be praying for refreshing night of rest for your team,and a great start to this trip. You will serve Him well, I just know it. Lots of love! Stephanie